My Profile

My photo
Lebanon, Missouri
I am Pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church (LC-MS) in Lebanon, MO for 12 years. I'm married to Cheryl and have been blessed with 5 children.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Cult of "I Think"

Often people run their theology by "I think" or "I feel." What an awful foundation for religion! In this case truth is totally subjectivized. This means there is no Truth at all but mere opinion.

It would be more honest if such a person skip church and look into the bathroom mirror and worship him/herself.

Religion based on "I think" or "I feel" is nothing but idolatry. Martin Luther taught whatever a person "fears, loves, and trusts" above all things is his god.

People love and trust their own opinion, and they fear being wrong. They become their own god whose kingdom is limited to one member.

The choice is clear. Do we make ourselves god or do we receive Jesus as LORD? The former is not only idolatry but also crass arrogance. The latter is not only truth but eternal life. After all, our Lord did say, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

(The picture is one of many at http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/posters.htm)

No comments:

Post a Comment